Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Bucket List

Last night Trevan and I watched the Bucket List.

The theme of this movie has been used over and over again. Someone finds out they are going to die, and all of a sudden their priorities change. They decide to live the life they always dreamed of, but seemed too risky or irresponsible.

These types of movies are suppose to send awakening jolts to our inert systems to get us out of our ruts and into living the lives we were meant to live. Throw caution to the wind and climb mount Everest, visit Egypt, skydive, carpe diem!

However, the majority of us just make excuses for the pathetic lives we live. "Things will be different once I get married, once we have kids, once I get my PhD, once we retire"...the list goes on.

I have been fighting the urge to just survive for quite some time now. I wake up with no purpose and no direction. Some days I just feel like crying, it all seems to hopeless.

Every time I give in to dispair I am reminded of a sermon Trevan preached. The title was "But God", taken from the picture Paul paints in Ephesians about the death and dispair that we were in, But God has set us free.

I have found in these words the will to not just survive, but to let my hair down and go for the life I was meant to live. I am starting my own Bucket List, and I hope to stick to it not just for my sake, but for the sake of the God who has given so much to set me free.

I will keep you posted!

No comments: