Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Overeating

I was browsing the New York Times this morning trying to get up to date with the news. Quite accidentally I ran into this semi book review of the book "The end of overeating: taking control of the insatiable American appetite", by Dr. David A. Kessler.

Basically, Dr. Kessler finds that, much like cigarette makers manipulate nicotine levels to make them more additive, food manufacturers might also manipulate fats, sugar and salts to keep us wanting more food than we actually need. How fascinating! I think I will read the book.
One of his main messages is that overeating is not due to an absence of willpower, but a biological challenge made more difficult by the overstimulating food environment that surrounds us. “Conditioned hypereating” is a chronic problem that is made worse by dieting and needs to be managed rather than cured, he said. And while lapses are inevitable, Dr. Kessler outlines several strategies that address the behavioral, cognitive and nutritional factors that fuel overeating

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I just started with a particular shake that suppresses your appetite...It has little chocolate appetite suppresant snacks and vitamins. I stopped taking it for a couple days so that I wouldn't become hooked. But, today I wanted something sweet and the trusty little chocolate snack came in handy...Oh to not have to struggle with appetite.