Friday, February 02, 2007

The Sabbath

I've often thought about my reasons for yearning for the Sabbath's arrival. There are weeks I just can't wait for it to be Friday so I can start celebrating the Sabbath's return.

What do I find in this day that changes my life? I certainly appreciate being able to take a day off from work. I also get to put away my paint brush, hammer, and any other tools that I have been using throughout the week to do little jobs around the house.

When I was in high-school I looked forward to church because I got to dress-up and hang out with my friends. I loved singing and playing bible games. But why do I still yearn today?

Maybe its the quiet serenity of a night without television or grocery lists or meetings. I rather suspect that it is God's promise to meet us in this day and take those burdens that have weighed so heavily on our backs all week long. I know God promises to take our burdens regardless of what day of the week we bring our trials to Him. But there is something about the Sabbath rest that makes that promise more palpable and real...That is why I yearn.

4 comments:

trevan said...

That used to be my desire with the Sabbath but then I became a Pastor and found that it was perhaps the most important and stress-filled work day of the week. So, finding Sabbath rest is going to be difficult if not virtually impossible. What do I do?

Anonymous said...

Sabbath and (our view of) Hell- two great reasons to be an Adventist! :)

Although I think it would be interesting to ask Trevan what he thinks of Sabbath rest as a pastor...

Great post!

Also, are pictures of the house up? It would be cool to see before and after pics!

spo said...

I think physical rest starts in the mind. Therefore, Sabbath is a state of mind and not necessarily physical and mental inactivity.

Don't get me wrong, I think God intended the Sabbath to be both a day of actual physical rest as well as a day of true communion with Him, but just do the best you can to stay calm and serene in the midst of all your Sabbath church-related storms.

P.S. I will put some before and after pictures of the den up as soon as Trevan hangs this mirror that's suppose to go in there. Sorry for the wait! I need Trevan to hang it because I am kinda short:)

kumardixit said...

If you were to read the Sabbath calendar of events in any Adventist church bulletin, you may wonder if we really understand "rest." peace,