Thursday, February 08, 2007

Adventures in the life of a Pastor's Wife (PW)

I have been debating whether to relate some of my experiences as a pastor's wife for quite some time now. Sometimes I think it would be therapeutic, and other times I think it will allow you to see how inadequate I can be! Catch 22

Well I have decided to do it anyway...

My first anecdote is actually quite mortifying. Last Sunday the church decided to have a party and show the Super Bowl while allowing the kids to come and have a grand-old-time playing games and hitting a piƱata. As a good pastor, Trevan dragged me to the party! I was not terribly happy to be there because I do not like showing people my competitive, somewhat obnoxious side...especially when the Colts' are playing...Go Colts!!!!

Anyways, I opted for demure, almost bored-out-of-my-mind behavior to temper the more natural side of me. Unfortunately, by half-time I was itching to do something so I started throwing a football around with Trevan.

"Oh, I am feeling a lot better now, more loose, more happy. This is fun! I can be myself, no harm done...NO!" Imagine my horror as a pass came out of my hands too high and too hard and HIT a lady sitting like a mile behind Trevan. With the most contrite smile I could muster I waved at her and apologized to no avail. She gave me the most unforgiving look...almost as if saying "You little twit."

Needless to say, I spent the rest of the evening sitting at my seat with my hands clasped firmly in my lap, reprimanding myself for my actions..."Way to go pastor's wife, hitting the parishioners over the head with a football. Nice work there! That will really get them to warm-up to you..."

Oh well, one of the many mistakes I will make as a PW. Stay tune for more stories, because even though I don't want there to be more stories, I am sure there will be a lot more where this one came from!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the longer you are pastor's wife, the more you will realize that you really can be yourself, even if that means cheering for a super bowl. PWs tend to get stereotyped, and if you don't want to end up there, show your true colors. Even if that means a parishoner or two gets beaned with a football! :-)

Michelle

spo said...

Michelle,
Thank you for the words of comfort!

Anonymous said...

FRICKIN HILARIOUS!!! (what happened to the lady)... LOL.. but trust me tho Ate, don't let other people dictate what you do.. DON'T CONFORM TO THE NORM- be the PW God wants you to be, and NOT what people EXPECT you to do; they're not the same thing. trust. LOVE YOU!!!

:)
loves~ ria