Sunday, October 21, 2007

Belize

There are two things that made this year's trip to Belize better than last year's.

1. Trevan was there and got to meet my granny for the first time.
2. The family reunion was much bigger this year. It had been over 10 years since my dad had gone back. My granny was really happy to see him again.
It was a very festive trip because my granny was celebrating her 95th birthday. We had these bright yellow T-shirts made for all the family members to wear to the party.


I enjoyed seeing all the little people again! They grow up so fast and are so cute...
(Yasir wearing my glasses, Trevan and Leah (lives in LA), and Leah, Samane and I - the girls had just finished eating chocolate)
The most thrilling adventure was snorkeling parts of the second largest barrier reef in the world. Trevan even got to touch a sting ray as our guide held it for him.

As I reflect back on the trip I realize that having Trevan meet my granny and my family in Belize was more important to me than I realized. Many of my childhood summers were spent there, and a big part of who I am was formed during those years. It was wonderful sharing some of that with him.

1 comment:

dpm said...

hey shari,
i've met that little girl... i didn't know that was your family at the Smyrna church in LA. small world!
looks like y'all had a great time!

dpm