Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cake - Week 5

This week I decided to be a bit ambitious with my cake since it was my last class. I designed a vineyard as an ode to my in-laws who live close to the Napa Valley.The house is made of chocolate cake. It was very hard to shape, but it was worth it. I tried to create a vine going up the side of the house with some flowers on the side. That did not come out exactly the way I envisioned it, but it looks ok.There is a little mount that come up from the cake with these little green bursts that are meant to look like a row of planted goodies (maybe cabbages).
Here is the aerial view. You can see the pond that is in there.
I put a gold fish in the pond. Thankfully Trevan has this rake that he got at the Pastor/Teacher Convention this weekend. It was a great prop to add to the cake.
So it comes to an end. My class was a lot of fun and I do not regret the many hours I have spent baking cakes and making icing. If you ever get a chance to take a class you should do it. In addition to learning great techniques for decorating your cakes, you also get great ideas from your classmates.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool! My only question is what you did with the cakes. Freeze them? Eat them?

Happy Belated Birthday! Sorry we missed it. We're back from the Philippines and trying to get back on schedule.

Love always,
Mom

spo said...

It was actually a very intensive course. We had to bake a cake each week and frost it.

I usually would take my cakes to work the next day and my co-workers eat them all! No need to freeze.