Monday, October 27, 2008

An Inspiring Story

Audrey is a former co-worker of mine. She is a woman of great faith and great conviction. Over the past couple months she has been a God-sent mentor for me as I have struggled with some decisions in my life.

When the primaries started she was an ardent supporter of Hillary Clinton, but once the primaries were over she fully got on board with Obama's campaign, and has even been volunteering some of her time to make phone calls.

This morning she sent me this email, and I just wanted to share it with you because I know the struggle ex-convicts that are trying to live a good and honest life face. Richmond is my home now, and I am proud that such a touching story came out of the streets where I live.
Audrey's story: "I can't get this out of my head so I thought I would share this story. It is short and it is another affirmation that Obama has a heart for the American people no matter where they come from.

Yesterday, I heard a most wonderful story from a man by the name of Tommie Cox. Tommie is a 60 year old African American man who spent about 30 years in prison. He was released last year and entered a so-called training program in the Richmond community. Tommie is a member of my church and a small group of us had been working with Tommie to help him find employment. Over the past two weeks I have been meeting with Tommie advising him on how to fill out applications and dealing with his job search.

As many of you know, on Wednesday, Barack Obama was in Richmond at the Coliseum. It was packed to capacity 13,000 plus. There were over 7,000 waiting outside. Tommie said that he went to the Coliseum, arrived early so that he could get a good standing position to see and hear Obama. When Obama finally began to make his way to the podium, the crowd reached out their hands to touch him. Obama found his hand shaking Tommie's hand. Within that short time, Tommie told Barack Obama that he was an ex-offender, spent 30 years in prison and needed employment. Obama told him that his campaign could offer him short-term employment at $9.00 per hour and the Senator told him to report to the Obama Headquarters. Tommie said that Obama also told him that the $9.00 wasn't much but would hold him until he gets what he wanted. Someone with the Senator then gave Tommie the location of the headquarters so that he could report for orientation and employment.

At 12:00 noon yesterday, Tommie was scheduled to report for work. When I checked on Tommie at about 2:00 p.m., Tommie was employed, he was out canvassing and knocking on doors with an Obama supporter and partner.

I know that some people find these kind of stories hard to believe but I Believe in God, our Creator, who has given Obama ability, skill and all the he needs to lead us into a new era. I Believe! I Believe in Obama! Only God can orchestrate such wonderful things--out of 20,000 people, Tommie, an ex-offender who is struggling to get on his feet, touched one of the most powerful and compassionate African American men in the world. This is the kind of President that I want, the table has been set, all we have to do is partake by Voting. Grace and Peace to Barack Obama and his household! Blessings to you and your household."

No comments: