Saturday, August 19, 2006

On Living in the Past

I recently read an interesting post by Kristel entitled Past but no present?. Petre's feeling is absolutely well founded. During my brief life, I have come to realize that our past, whether a rich and powerful history (the history of Georgia), or an oppressive and mundane one (children born in brothels), shapes our present.

There are two basic ways in which we react to our past:we dwell or we progress. A perfect example of progression is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and the Civil Rights Movement. As Dr. King looked back on black history in America, he saw much to be proud of (abolishing of slavery, black people could live in their own houses and have paying jobs). The black condition had been much improved. However, Dr. King also realized that there was so much more room for improvement to the present condition of the black community. He therefore rallied the people and created one of the richest movements in the history of blacks in America.

Another wonderful example of progress is exemplified by the disciples. We can argue that their history with Jesus Christ incarnate is the best history immaginable. But the disciples used their past to shape their present and to shape their movement into something grander than what they had been able to accomplish with the Savior.

Those of us who choose to dwell in the past run into two pitfalls that ultimately render us stagnant. One pitfall is living in the glories of the past, eliminating any possibility of adjusting for present reality. There is a church I know that lives this problem. They use to be big and packed out every week. Currently their attendance barely fills a third of the pews, but they still see themselves as being a big church. Their inability to see their present condition is destroying their opportunities to adjust.

The other pitfall is to dwell so vehemently on our past that we complain and grudge the present. An example of this is my personal illusions of a grander life when I lived in Maryland. My constant comparison of Michigan and Maryland have left me with a present in Michigan that looks much like a straight jacket. I have blocked out any possibility of creating an equally rewarding present in Michigan because I never let go of my past in Maryland.

Petre's words inspired me to stop dwelling and start progressing into the new present. I am currently creating what I will look back on in twenty years. I want to like what I see!

No comments: