Saturday, January 27, 2007

Australian Open Women's Final


The question: "How do you solve a problem like Maria?" has been asked by many since the, now, 19 year-old Russian diva began her ascent to the top seeded position in tennis. The answer: match her up against a Serena Williams with something to prove. Welcome back Serena!

Serena entered the open seeded 82nd in the world. Coming back from a knee injury and months out of real competition, not even her mother gave her a vote of confidence stating that she was "rusty". Serena battled a cold, blisters, and constant near losses during her road to the finals. She was on a mission to prove that she is still a contender, and a dangerous one at that.

After watching the semis matches between Sharapova and Clijsters, and Williams and Vaidisova I was confident that Serena would win the open. In the semis Maria's service game was so atrocious she should have lost. Unfortunately, Clijsters seemed to have taken pity on her a allowed her to win by playing even more atrociously.

The morning after the semis matches I prophetically told Trevan that if Sharapova played against Serena the way she played Kim, Serena would destroy her. I was right! After six double faults on Maria's part and only 3 games won during the entire match, the score was a definitive 6-1, 6-2. Serena won in straights without even seeing a fight from Maria.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match! Maria's constant groaning, grunting and screaming drive me crazy, so it was nice to have Serena shut her up. Sometimes I feel this undeniable urge to hit the "mute" button and just watch her (Maria) matches in silence. Although I would not pay to see her play, I would kill for her legs!

I am greatly anticipating the men's final!

No comments: