Saturday, July 22, 2006

On Anger and Love

During the last couple days I have been reading Bonhoeffer's The Cost of Discipleship. As I read his thoughts on the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5), I was truly convicted of my sin. Although I am trying to work on certain serious character deficiencies that seem to plague my existence, there is one in particular that always creeps back into my subconscious every time I think I am close to my goal. Anger! I can hold grudges for a lifetime! I know this for a fact :)

Matthew 5:22 says, "But I say to you that if you are angry with a brother or sister, you will be liable of the judgment; and if you insult a brother or a sister, you will be liable to the council; and if you say 'You fool', you will be liable to the hell of fire." How many times have I insulted those who wronged me behind their backs? I have seldom confronted them face to face as a mature adult would. Instead, I brood and confess my anger to Trevan and all my loyal band of friends.

To you I direct these thoughts. You who out of loyalty to our relationship have bowed to avenge those who hurt me by cutting them out of your lives. You know who you are! Many times I have done the same for you. There is no fury like that of a loyal friend who defends a wounded friends honor. Wholeheartedly I thank you for your allegiance and loyalty, as in the same breath I ask for your forgiveness. The command of God is to "love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Matt 5:44). I have caused you to sin against God's law by "sharing" my hurt pride with you knowing your reaction will be anger.

My desire to "get back" at an offender and your desire to "back me up" has been to the defeat of us all. I now ask that your allegiance be to God and His requirement that we live above the world and its standards. Please help me to brush off insulting behavior and remember that my glory is in being a child of God.

Love you guys!

No comments: