Monday, July 17, 2006

On Global Warming

Alan is a retired Lutheran pastor that lives in our apartment complex. He was recently in an accident that resulted in a broken leg and a totaled car for him. Trevan and I offered to help him in whatever way possible. At first his request seemed simple enough; he wanted us to take him to watch "An inconvenient truth", the Al Gore movie dealing with global warming.

I say at first because as the movie began and ignorance dissipated from my mind, anger set in and took over my being. Questions began plaguing me. Why was the current administration ignoring such blatant signs that something is wrong? Why are Americans being led to believe that the problem is not urgent or relevant? Am I part of the problem? I'm certainly not part of the solution...

There is this fear that resides deep inside me. Something that tells me I have not done enough; not for the environment, not for God, not for myself. As the movie progressed I realized that I have been sitting in self-imposed darkness as the world around me gradually but inevitably collapses.

What is my stand then? What will I do to correct years of damage on the environment? I will change my behavior! The United States contributes over 30% of pollutants that lead to global warming. I do not have to be one of the many Americans who live in denial. Here is a list of things I can do to stop my personal carbon dioxide output. Please join me!
  1. Purchase appliances that have an Energy Star seal.
  2. Instead of regular light bulbs use Compact fluorescent ones that use lots less energy.
  3. Use less hot water.
  4. Unplug electronic devices from walls when you are not using them.
  5. RECYCLE: for recycling information in your area call 1-877-327-84911.
  6. Plant a tree.
  7. When you purchase your next car, make sure it is a zero-emissions or a hybrid.
  8. Turn your thermostat down 2 degrees in the winter and up 2 degrees in the summer.

For more information visit www.climatecrisis.net and learn how you can help prevent a catastrophe. Remember: ignorance is bliss, but consequences aren't.

1 comment:

trevan said...

I just want to verify that Shari has taken her advice seriously. She got her workplace to start recycling, which we will be able to personally use as well. We don't put the AC on as low and try to keep it off as much as possible. We've been taking cold showers (Although that has a lot to do with it being hot now). We turn off unnecessary lights and unplug unused appliances.

The amazing thing is how easy these things are to do and realizing how much of a difference it makes. The difference grows exponentially as more people take it seriously so keep on working at it.