Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On Multirace

I found this article on multirace people and families in America. It is really fascinating to read some of the comments and be able to nod in agreement with the experiences of other multiracial individuals.

My particularly favorite question I get asked all the time is "What are you?". On any given day, depending on what my hair looks like, I can be mistaken for Indian, Ethiopian, African American, I have even gotten Sudanese and Philippino. When I say Costa Rican, the response is usually a very confused "Really?".

Just to clarify my heritage:

My father is an afro-Costa Rican, whose mother migrated from Jamaica and married a Costa Rican of African/Jamaican ancestry. My mother is an Indian-Belizean, whose family migrated from India to Belize generations before she was born. I was born in Honduras, but am a Costa Rican by ethnicity and an American by nationality (recent development).

So there you have it!

No comments: