Friday, September 22, 2006

Day 16 of 32

For the conclusion of my riveting ordeal, let me take you back to Tuesday morning...

I wake up at 4:45 am to make my 6:30 flight back to Chicago. I get into Chicago at 12:40 and I am on my two-hour drive back home in the middle of a rainy, traffic-filed day at 2:30 eastern time. By the time I finally get home it is around 5:00 pm and I have an appointment for a much needed massage at 6:30 pm.

Once I get back from my massage, I decide to check my passport to make sure everything is in order...It's not. My passport has expired in April of the current year. Quickly I search the web to see what can be done in such a short amount of time. I learn that it will take five days to process the information for a renewal.

Armed with lots of phone numbers I set out on Wednesday morning to hound every Costa Rican embassy for expedited service. Luckily enough, the embassy in Chicago was more than happy to oblige, and after faxing them some paper work, they give me an appointment to get my renewal Friday at 11:30 am.

For the second time this week I make the long two-hour drive (three hours in today's traffic) to the city. Thankfully my good friend Fabiola offers to accompany me on this voyage. We thoroughly enjoy our time together.

Once in the consular office, it only takes about twenty minutes to get all the paper work done and my passport extended. Relief floods every fiber of my body, and we go out for a celebratory meal at Ruby Tuesday's...

Back home we come with our stomachs full and our hearts light. We joke about everything, even the traffic. Life is great for this moment in time, and we treasure the moment...

No comments: